Skip to main content

An Open Letter: Revised & Submitted Version

One website I like to visit frequently is mcsweeneys.net, where erudite and expressive people contribute short articles about varied subjects for the general amusement of all. One feature that you can contribute to is called "Open Letters to People or Entities That Are Unlikely To Respond." I suggest you check it out, I'm a big fan. I have written my own contribution based on a situation in my own life, slightly exagerated of course for comedic effect. I have now revised it and submitted it to the website. Thanks to everybody who gave me input! (4/6/06 Note: The editors "decided to pass" on my submission. Oh well.)


An Open Letter to My Persistent Yet Unwelcome Arch-Nemesis

Dear Arch-Nemesis,

When I was three-to-five years old, I loved the movie "Superman II." In my childish innocence I regarded it as far superior to its predecessor, a blatant example of the inability of young minds to make informed value judgments. Nevertheless, I could quote all the lines in the film and was known to run about the house in my underwear pretending to fly. Since that time, however, I have never really cast myself as the archetypical superhero. I don't tend to think of myself as the star of my own comic book series. You will understand, then, my confusion at your startling determination to become my arch-nemesis and foil me at every turn.

I'm flattered by the attention, of course, but frankly I don't have time to deal with an arch-villain in my life right now. When I make a list of my daily priorities, I don't particularly want you to show up next to more important items such as washing my underwear or finding some purpose in a fragmented world . In fact, I feel I have done as much as possible to relegate you to a position of non-importance and obscurity in all of my mental maneuvering. I would be more than happy to let you go about your evil and petty life without interference of any kind. Live and let live, I say. Yet, for reasons that I cannot fully understand, you are clearly unsatisfied with any arrangement short of a battle to the death.

Not that you've been openly antagonistic. On the contrary, you've taken great care to treat me with warmth and congeniality whenever we actually meet in person. I can see right through you, Arch-Nemesis. I know what you say about me when I'm not around. I know how you actively seek my downfall through whatever means lie within your power. Oh, I know too well; I've got people. This false pretense of kindness, therefore, only makes you more reprehensible and bizarre. At least General Zod was straightforward. He never told Superman how happy he was for him, or how he hoped things would work out for the best. He just openly tried to kill him on several occasions. I can admire that kind of frankness. And when an exiled Kryptonian criminal bent on world-domination seems somehow more likeable than you, I think its time for some urgent self-evaluation.

I've spent some time lately trying to fathom your motives. As far as I can tell, I've done no egregious wrong to you or someone close to you. I've made no attempt to interfere with your elaborate and self-serving plans. When we first met each other in that acting class almost three years ago, there were never any signs of strained feelings between us. My interactions with you since then have always been limited and brief. You must understand that, from my point of view, your apparent hatred of me and everything I stand for seems a bit rash and unfounded. Perhaps you were simply in need of somebody to focus all the negative energies of your life on and I was in the right place at the right time. Am I just your emotional punching bag? If so, maybe you should focus on practicing the techniques you learned when you inexplicably started showing up to the yoga class I was taking. You'll feel much better, believe me.

Alternatively, it is possible, I suppose, that this ill-will is simply a cover for other, more complicated feelings that frighten you. After all, the strong passions you apparently hold for me indicate some kind of attachment beyond the friendly antagonism of Clark Kent and Perry White, if you catch my drift. Forgive my intrusion on such a delicate matter, but if you are experiencing confusion with your sexuality then I suggest you seek guidance from friends and qualified professionals rather than venting your frustrations in my direction. Maybe if you are honest with yourself, you'll realize that it's not me you are trying to hurt - it's yourself. It's nothing to be ashamed about. As far as I can tell, many of the greatest arch-rivalries in history have been based on exactly the same kind of repressed sexual desire channeled through aggression. Think about it.

Whatever the motive, this really has got to stop. Like I said, I'm honestly flattered at the amount of energy you have been putting into ruining my life, but it's been pretty damn inconvenient to tell you the truth. And more than that, I'm worried about you, Arch-Nemesis. It's simply not healthy, what you're doing. Lex Luthor ended up in a bad way and so could you.

Regards,
Matt Haws

Comments

Unknown said…
Loved it! Check for typos, though. I caught a couple.

I'm really not sure who this is talking about, but I do have some guesses. . .
Anonymous said…
You were 3, not 5-7 but just 3 (pretty smart 3 year old though.)
topher clark said…
Well, I've never been to your yoga class, so that rules me out. I think you should write this person's name - like in some kind of accrostic way - so we can figure it out. Or I could just ask you.
Anonymous said…
That last paragraph is awesome. Can I use it for my trouble maker? and it was me, your favorite auntie, besides Krista, that asked about no Superman songs. Love you nephew!
Connie
Anonymous said…
Matthew, love the letter. L-O-V-E it. Anyway, Matthias, the JLAW is meeting two Tuesdays away. And I am missing you already. Also, Sam Beeson started a blog, finally:

http://www.grammarsam.blogspot.com
Celeste said…
Great Matt, simply great. I've felt that way towards others as well, but you put it quite beautifully.

Popular posts from this blog

The Only Thing We Have to Fear...

It's October, which means not only do I get to start dipping into my nifty fall wardrobe but also that Halloween is upon us. I think its great that we devote specific holidays to various basic emotions of the human psyche. Halloween = fear, Valentine's day = love, Thanksgiving = gratitude, St. Patrick's Day = envy, and Christmas = greed. We're just missing wrath, lust, pride, sloth, gluttony, and inadequecy. Clearly, more holidays are necessary. But that's a subject for another day. We don't want to give Halloween less than its due. Because seriously, how cool is Halloween? Its way off the scale on the cool-o-meter. When else can you see even the most pious and sensible people indulging in a little of the supernatural and occult by dressing up their children as vampires, witches, or ghosts? Well, that's how it was back in my day anyway (which was soooooo long ago), but today kids dress up as Jedi, princesses, Harry Potter, or Spiderman. They are totally miss

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent...

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. Though, despite the elaborate disguise Consisting of a single pair of bent, Simple specs, they're not two different guys But only one, still I said what I meant: I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent I guess because one of them's more like me And does not always get what he wants And struggles with our vulnerability. And does not by his perfection command The adoration of every woman and man But sits in the back, with nothing to say Just hoping that Lois Lane looks his way. She doesn't - her eyes are glued to the sky. Wake up, Lois! Can't you see the guy Waiting to love you with all of his might? He may not leap buildings, he may not fly, He may not see through you with x-ray eyes, He might need YOUR help, if that's alright, From time to time, when his mortal heart cries. He combs his hair neatly and fights through the crowd, Decides what to say, and rehearses out loud, He summons his

God Bless Us, Every One

Call me a Scrooge, but I've found that the last couple of years Christmas just hasn't carried the same sense of wonder and excitement it once did. When I was a kid, I was ready to pee my pants every day in December just thinking about the twenty-fifth, which crept closer so slowly that the month was always filled with blissfully tortuous anticipation. The sense of suspense, the agony of not knowing what the fantastically wrapped boxes contained, was only heightened by the lights, the music, the snow, and everything you knew meant it was Christmas time. Back then, my heart's desires cost about twenty bucks and, tragically, seemed both completely unobtainable and the key to my whole life's happiness. This was the season, then, when miracles of a very practical kind could happen; objects only admired on the shelf, or at a friend's, or in some abstract sense of obsession could literally become my own and wind up, eventually, in pieces somewhere in my closet. I like to c