Skip to main content

Get Out Of Here!

My favorite morning radio talk show, which I listen to religously while preparing for work each day, has a regular segment featuring lists of "Things That Must Go," in which they read submissions from listeners about things in life which bug or otherwise irritate them and which they believe should stop. These range from petty annoyances to major ideological clashes. Anyway, its great fun and, as I found, a good way to vent. I've come up with a couple that I may submit to the station. Here are a few of them that are certain not to offend anybody (which of course is my top priority):

1.People who say “I don't like to read,” as if they are daring rebels who are boldly setting a new trend. You don't like to read – fine, thats your loss, but don't pretend like you are a member of a persecuted minority!

2.The phrase, “I'm not racist, but....” which is inevitably followed by something racist. If you really must give vent to whatever ignorant and simplistic ideas about race you have, at least be open about the fact that you are a bigot.

3.American waiters at a Brazilian restaurant who insist in speaking in Portugese in order to give you the “cultural flavor.” Yes, we're impressed you learned a language on your mission, but we don't understand what you are saying! You make me feel like an idiot when you ask a question, and I don't know what to respond because you aren't speaking English! See if YOU get a tip, Mr. Bilingual.

4. Mormon catchphrases. Really, no matter how sincere you are, its now impossible not to sound trite while saying, "I'm so grateful for this opportunity," "nourish and strengthen our bodies," "thankful for the moisture we have received," "with every fiber of my being," "each and every one of us," "at-one-ment," "eternal perspective," etc. etc. The English language contains a rich multitude of words, and I bet that with a little effort we can come up with new and interesting ways of expressing these same ideas.

5. And by the way, just because a joke was funny in General Conference it doesn't mean you should use in your sacrament meeting talk. And amusing anecdotes about your reaction to being asked to talk in the first place are very much out of style.

6. Gossip must go. You really have nothing better to do than to chat about my life? I don't even know you, why do you care??

7. People who have found great happiness in their life (and we are all very glad) but who believe with all their heart that the only way that YOU will ever be happy is to do exactly what THEY have done. I'm happy that you are happy, but I think its wrong of you to assume that what has made you happy will do the same for me. It very possibly might, but then again it might not. I call this the "one-size-fits-all" approach to life. I pity the person who patterns their life completely after somebody else in hopes of attaining that person's level of happiness. You'll never be happy unless you find it for yourself.

Well thats that. It's great fun. You should try it! Feel free to leave me a taste of your own "Things That Must Go." I'm interested in what irritates you, even if its me. Heaven knows I must go sometime too...

Comments

Matt Haws said…
Amen. Also add people who brag about how they play the guitar/piano/drums but don't read music because they are soooo naturally gifted. By this age, if you haven't learned to read music you are just lazy.
Anonymous said…
Also people who use the excuse "I just didn't have time!" to explain why they can't get into plays. And Utah mispronunciations; mounin (mountain), melk (milk), pelloh (pillow) the list goes on. And rediculously talented people too. They bug me. Oh the envy. SJ
alea said…
What about incorrect deles of apostrophes (see item four)?

Also, did you know that at-one-ment is where the word ACTUALLY comes from? Isn't that nearly the worst thing ever. We have Wycliff to thank for that one. Without him, we'd still be talking of how Christ expiated for our sins.
eleka nahmen said…
I'm with you on #7. I happen to be perfectly capable of determining what exact manner of living will bring me the most joy and satisfaction, thank you.

Also - the idea that the less you paid for the particular item of clothing you're wearing, the better it is. Perhaps that is true if you're talking about the $600 Ralph Lauren jacket that you got on sale for $150, but it is definitely NOT true about the $2 shirt you bought at Savers. I'm more likely to be thinking uneasily about the microbes and living things hidden within its fibers than I am to be pleased at your high level of "thriftiness."
Unknown said…
Or those people who, while giving a TALK in church, ask the entire congregation to open to a certain place in the scriptures with them and you just sit there and listen to hundreds of zippers being unzipped and pages being unpaged and you just get irritated! This isn't Sunday School!

See "As Some Day It May Happen" in "The Mikado" by Gilbert and Sullivan. They wrote a whole song about things that must go.

Popular posts from this blog

The Only Thing We Have to Fear...

It's October, which means not only do I get to start dipping into my nifty fall wardrobe but also that Halloween is upon us. I think its great that we devote specific holidays to various basic emotions of the human psyche. Halloween = fear, Valentine's day = love, Thanksgiving = gratitude, St. Patrick's Day = envy, and Christmas = greed. We're just missing wrath, lust, pride, sloth, gluttony, and inadequecy. Clearly, more holidays are necessary. But that's a subject for another day. We don't want to give Halloween less than its due. Because seriously, how cool is Halloween? Its way off the scale on the cool-o-meter. When else can you see even the most pious and sensible people indulging in a little of the supernatural and occult by dressing up their children as vampires, witches, or ghosts? Well, that's how it was back in my day anyway (which was soooooo long ago), but today kids dress up as Jedi, princesses, Harry Potter, or Spiderman. They are totally miss

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent...

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. Though, despite the elaborate disguise Consisting of a single pair of bent, Simple specs, they're not two different guys But only one, still I said what I meant: I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent I guess because one of them's more like me And does not always get what he wants And struggles with our vulnerability. And does not by his perfection command The adoration of every woman and man But sits in the back, with nothing to say Just hoping that Lois Lane looks his way. She doesn't - her eyes are glued to the sky. Wake up, Lois! Can't you see the guy Waiting to love you with all of his might? He may not leap buildings, he may not fly, He may not see through you with x-ray eyes, He might need YOUR help, if that's alright, From time to time, when his mortal heart cries. He combs his hair neatly and fights through the crowd, Decides what to say, and rehearses out loud, He summons his

God Bless Us, Every One

Call me a Scrooge, but I've found that the last couple of years Christmas just hasn't carried the same sense of wonder and excitement it once did. When I was a kid, I was ready to pee my pants every day in December just thinking about the twenty-fifth, which crept closer so slowly that the month was always filled with blissfully tortuous anticipation. The sense of suspense, the agony of not knowing what the fantastically wrapped boxes contained, was only heightened by the lights, the music, the snow, and everything you knew meant it was Christmas time. Back then, my heart's desires cost about twenty bucks and, tragically, seemed both completely unobtainable and the key to my whole life's happiness. This was the season, then, when miracles of a very practical kind could happen; objects only admired on the shelf, or at a friend's, or in some abstract sense of obsession could literally become my own and wind up, eventually, in pieces somewhere in my closet. I like to c