Skip to main content

Chicago Trip Update: The Auditions


OK, I know what you all want to hear about. I went to Chicago for a reason, after all. It was my intention to get into a grad school. It didn't quite go as I had thought it would.

I'm not sure exactly what I expected to happen, actually. Did I really think that I'd take the stage, perform my monologues with staggering talent, and every single university recruiter would stand up and beg me to come to their school? Well, that certainly didn't happen. In fact, the end result of my efforts there is only about a "so so" on the excellence scale.

I was told over and over again that the last thing the people organizing these things wanted was for me to be nervous. I believe that, but the format of the audition process does little to achieve that end. I know there's not really any other way to accomodate the hundreds and hundreds of head-in-the-clouds actors who desperately want to be "discovered" than putting them all in a big room and calling them in to see the auditors one by one. But something about that arrangement makes it impossible not to be nervous. I arrived at my auditions quite relaxed and confident, but after thirty minutes sitting silently in the tension, surrounded by hundreds of attractive young people (who may or may not act better than you, have more connections than you, be better looking than you, or simply be luckier or perform better under pressure than you) I was a mess. And each one of these people is in direct competition with you for the very very few spots available in these programs. It was obvious that everybody was nervous, but instead of making me feel better that only seemed to make the situation all the more daunting.

In the end, I didn't feel like I had presented my real best in my auditions. I know they weren't expecting to see some technically perfect or completely polished performance. They wanted to see me, wanted to see me connect to a character and exhibit honest, truthful acting. I don't feel I did very well at that. In my anxiety, I retreated into myself instead of fully immersing into the characters, like I had done in rehearsal. Plus, I had rehearsed one of the monologues in such a way that it was very "showy" with lots of movement and voice inflection but very little heart behind it. This was pointed out to me by one of the acting recruiters I talked with, and I knew it was true the minute he said it. Plus, I had fallen into one of my classic traps of performing something the exact same way every time at the loss of rediscovery and spontaneity. Thus, I felt like those making important decision about me and my future didn't get to see what I can really do.

And I also just have to admit that I'm not as good as I was hoping I am. There were a lot of people there, and many of them were just more trained and more talented than me, and I need to come to terms with that. Arrogant actors annoy me so much, and it disturbs me to think I have been one of them. I apologize to anybody who got that impression from me. You hear often how tough this business is, and I guess in Chicago I got a small taste of how true that really is. Why do I even bother? Indeed, a number of times the nervous actors in the waiting area looked at each other puzzedly, their innards a gelatanous mess of anxiety, as if to ask, "Why do we put ourselves through this?" Acting is a wild cycle of extreme self-confidence followed by intense periods of doubt and hesitation. I don't know why I do it. In any other thing with the odds as stacked against me as they were in Chicago I would say, "Why bother?" But in acting, you can't help but feeling that surely, surely you'll be one of the lucky few who "make it." Its an addictive fantasy.

Ok, I sound SO pessimistic. If things didn't go as well as I'd hoped, they certainly didn't go as badly as I feared. I made it past the screening auditions for URTAs, which isn't a small thing really. They eliminate two-thirds of the applicants right there. Two schools expressed direct interest in me, one of which is actually a decent program thats right up my alley. In fact, it sounds absolutely perfect besides the fact that its located in South Carolina, deep in the heart of the Old South, as red as a red state can get. Ah well, it's just for two years.

In addition, I had a good interview with my school of choice in San Diego where I feel I really got a chance to introduce myself to the people making the decision. I was able to get them to look past the fact that I'm from BYU. (Honestly, I think a large group of schools rule you out immediately when they see you're from BYU, so having that next my name didn't help things either.) The audition was only "so so" but I think they were impressed with my responses in the interview.

At this point, all thats left is to wait and see. Frankly, I'm not too hopeful about my chances. Which begs the question: What am I supposed to do now? Reconcile myself to a life of nine to five torture? You see, work is a waste of time, unless work is what you want to do with your time. If your work is an expression of you, is part of you, then its worth spending your life on. If your work is just something you do so you can have money to enjoy life when you are not working.... well life is too short for that. Thats my own personal opinion, but I recognize that I'm a liberal idealistic idiot.

If worse comes to worse, I can always dig ditches. Anybody need any ditches?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sometimes the best acting doesnt make the actor feel anything. Things will work out the way they need to. Dont get distressed. Plus, you ARE a great actor. I say that with confidence... and not to make you feel better. SJ
I agree with you on your job outlook - it is a dimmed life that is lived working a job one doesn't enjoy. In fact, right now I find I sometimes neglect my studies just because I enjoy my job so much, even though working a student job at the university doesn't exactly compare to my industry potential I'll have when I get my MS.

I wish you good luck ;)
Anonymous said…
Yeah! How was WICKED matt??!?!?
WITHOUT ME!!!>???!?!?
topher clark said…
Matt - you will get in somewhere. I'll see to it.
Matt Haws said…
Boy, THATS cryptic, Chris. What, do you have some sort of mafia connections? Are armed thugs going to show up at the door of some acting professors home, and suggest in a threatening way that they ought to accept me into the program? Because that would be great! Thank, Chris!

Popular posts from this blog

The Only Thing We Have to Fear...

It's October, which means not only do I get to start dipping into my nifty fall wardrobe but also that Halloween is upon us. I think its great that we devote specific holidays to various basic emotions of the human psyche. Halloween = fear, Valentine's day = love, Thanksgiving = gratitude, St. Patrick's Day = envy, and Christmas = greed. We're just missing wrath, lust, pride, sloth, gluttony, and inadequecy. Clearly, more holidays are necessary. But that's a subject for another day. We don't want to give Halloween less than its due. Because seriously, how cool is Halloween? Its way off the scale on the cool-o-meter. When else can you see even the most pious and sensible people indulging in a little of the supernatural and occult by dressing up their children as vampires, witches, or ghosts? Well, that's how it was back in my day anyway (which was soooooo long ago), but today kids dress up as Jedi, princesses, Harry Potter, or Spiderman. They are totally miss

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent...

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. Though, despite the elaborate disguise Consisting of a single pair of bent, Simple specs, they're not two different guys But only one, still I said what I meant: I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent I guess because one of them's more like me And does not always get what he wants And struggles with our vulnerability. And does not by his perfection command The adoration of every woman and man But sits in the back, with nothing to say Just hoping that Lois Lane looks his way. She doesn't - her eyes are glued to the sky. Wake up, Lois! Can't you see the guy Waiting to love you with all of his might? He may not leap buildings, he may not fly, He may not see through you with x-ray eyes, He might need YOUR help, if that's alright, From time to time, when his mortal heart cries. He combs his hair neatly and fights through the crowd, Decides what to say, and rehearses out loud, He summons his

God Bless Us, Every One

Call me a Scrooge, but I've found that the last couple of years Christmas just hasn't carried the same sense of wonder and excitement it once did. When I was a kid, I was ready to pee my pants every day in December just thinking about the twenty-fifth, which crept closer so slowly that the month was always filled with blissfully tortuous anticipation. The sense of suspense, the agony of not knowing what the fantastically wrapped boxes contained, was only heightened by the lights, the music, the snow, and everything you knew meant it was Christmas time. Back then, my heart's desires cost about twenty bucks and, tragically, seemed both completely unobtainable and the key to my whole life's happiness. This was the season, then, when miracles of a very practical kind could happen; objects only admired on the shelf, or at a friend's, or in some abstract sense of obsession could literally become my own and wind up, eventually, in pieces somewhere in my closet. I like to c