Skip to main content

Solitary Resignment

Call me crazy, but I’ve often thought about what it would be like to be completely cut off from the rest of the world. I have a recurring day dream where I’m shipwrecked on a desert island, alone or with one other person, and forced to survive for months before I’m finally rescued. It’s a silly fantasy, and in real life I’d probably starve or die from heatstroke. But the daydream keeps coming back, so the idea must have a certain appeal.

I read a short story once (I can’t remember who wrote it) about a young man who bets a rival that he can stay cooped up in a small building with no outside contact for an entire year. Food is delivered to him through a small hole, and he is granted a piano and all the books he desires to read. I remember thinking that this sounded like a pretty good deal. As long as I had those things, and maybe some video games or something, a year would be a piece of cake, I thought. In the story the man went crazy and broke out just days before the year was up, and was never heard from again or something mysterious like that. It seemed to me like kind of a cheap ending. Surely it couldn’t be that bad, could it?

Well, for the past week I’ve lived a life of quasi-solitary confinement. Both of my roommates are out of town, and with no job or life that leaves me home alone all day. Of course, I do go out at night to perform at a local theater, and then there was Star Wars, but the overwhelming majority of my time has been spent alone. I didn’t think, beforehand, it would be a big deal. After all, its only a week. Within days, however, I was already losing my mind. I would wander from room to room of my empty house, not sure why or what I should do next. I tried playing computer games, but my interest waned. I tried watching TV, playing the piano, reading books, all those things I thought could easily occupy me not only for a week but for a whole year, like in the story. One memorable day I stretched out on the floor of my living room, face down, and remained there for at least an hour, failing to see any reason for moving.

I’ve never really considered myself a people person. In my childhood I was often content to play completely alone, which was fortunate because at that age I wasn’t very good at making friends. By the time the week was halfway through, however, I was desperate to make contact with another human being. I called up some friends, knowing they were probably busy or at work, just to talk. This is quite remarkable in my case because I avoid using the phone as much as possible and never call somebody just to chat. None of my friends answered the phone. Sanity was slowly slipping through the cracks of my pseudo-prison, leaving only a frenzied wreck that was once me behind. I tried to occupy myself, but none of my distractions could interest me for long. I tried looking for a job, which only depressed me further. Finally, when the silence was unbearable, I put myself to work.

I did the dishes. I washed my laundry. I got online and learned a bunch of exercises I could do to work off some of this extra flab I’ve earned from just sitting around all day. I went for a walk to the mall and the bookstore. I cooked dinner and made a smoothie. I started a blog. And then it struck me, today, at the end of my week-long hermitage, that this really isn’t so bad after all. The trick is simply to create a routine. Fill up your time, get things done. The fun stuff like computer games are much more fun after you’ve cleaned the kitchen. Maybe, just maybe, I could win the bet and survive the year alone through total mastery over self, sheer guts and willpower, and incredible discipline. Or maybe the author of that story was right, and I’d just go crazy.

Either way, when I pick up my roommate from the airport tomorrow, I expect I’ll wave my hands in the air like a maniac, signaling for a welcome rescue from this blasted island.

Comments

eleka nahmen said…
Oh come now, you've only been *completely* alone since Thursday....
Matt Haws said…
Its true Tyler was here occaisonally until Thursday. But most of the time he was working and even when he's home I never see him. So I was practically alone. Stop trying to ruin my story!
eleka nahmen said…
I'm not trying to ruin it! I thought it was just an absolutely delightful story :D A very talented writer you are, I just must say. I'm quite impressed.

You could always make friends with the Mexicans in the basement.. perhaps you could convince them to trade in that horrible, horrible music of theirs for opera... Then again, we do have standards of association, and they definitely don't measure up.
Matt Haws said…
I have no problems making friends with our Mexican neighbors - its just that I don't speak Spanish and near as I can tell they don't speak much English. Their kids were playing the front yard yesterday and they were just adorable. And I'm sure they are as sick of Tyler's techno and Tyler is of their music.
eleka nahmen said…
oh goodness, it wasn't my intention to make you change your name... I just always use 'nyms on mine!

Popular posts from this blog

The Only Thing We Have to Fear...

It's October, which means not only do I get to start dipping into my nifty fall wardrobe but also that Halloween is upon us. I think its great that we devote specific holidays to various basic emotions of the human psyche. Halloween = fear, Valentine's day = love, Thanksgiving = gratitude, St. Patrick's Day = envy, and Christmas = greed. We're just missing wrath, lust, pride, sloth, gluttony, and inadequecy. Clearly, more holidays are necessary. But that's a subject for another day. We don't want to give Halloween less than its due. Because seriously, how cool is Halloween? Its way off the scale on the cool-o-meter. When else can you see even the most pious and sensible people indulging in a little of the supernatural and occult by dressing up their children as vampires, witches, or ghosts? Well, that's how it was back in my day anyway (which was soooooo long ago), but today kids dress up as Jedi, princesses, Harry Potter, or Spiderman. They are totally miss

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent...

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. Though, despite the elaborate disguise Consisting of a single pair of bent, Simple specs, they're not two different guys But only one, still I said what I meant: I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent I guess because one of them's more like me And does not always get what he wants And struggles with our vulnerability. And does not by his perfection command The adoration of every woman and man But sits in the back, with nothing to say Just hoping that Lois Lane looks his way. She doesn't - her eyes are glued to the sky. Wake up, Lois! Can't you see the guy Waiting to love you with all of his might? He may not leap buildings, he may not fly, He may not see through you with x-ray eyes, He might need YOUR help, if that's alright, From time to time, when his mortal heart cries. He combs his hair neatly and fights through the crowd, Decides what to say, and rehearses out loud, He summons his

God Bless Us, Every One

Call me a Scrooge, but I've found that the last couple of years Christmas just hasn't carried the same sense of wonder and excitement it once did. When I was a kid, I was ready to pee my pants every day in December just thinking about the twenty-fifth, which crept closer so slowly that the month was always filled with blissfully tortuous anticipation. The sense of suspense, the agony of not knowing what the fantastically wrapped boxes contained, was only heightened by the lights, the music, the snow, and everything you knew meant it was Christmas time. Back then, my heart's desires cost about twenty bucks and, tragically, seemed both completely unobtainable and the key to my whole life's happiness. This was the season, then, when miracles of a very practical kind could happen; objects only admired on the shelf, or at a friend's, or in some abstract sense of obsession could literally become my own and wind up, eventually, in pieces somewhere in my closet. I like to c