Skip to main content

The Battle on the Homefront

Yesterday was Memorial Day, and I hope we all took a moment to remember the many people who have died in war. We should never forget that millions of human beings have lost their lives in combat. Let us honor their memory by working toward a world where such violence no longer exists.

On a lighter subject, I wish to discuss briefly a battle being waged here, at my very own house. This is a war of brains and brawn which already has produced many casualties. On one side, we have my control freak roommate whose determination knows no bounds. On the other, an army of highly-trained military ants who have set up base in the cracks in the cement in our garage.

I’m sorry to say that my roommate struck the first blow in this conflict. He noticed the presence of the ant forces in our territory some time last week and declared war immediately. A can of Raid was deployed over the enemy base, destroying targets with deadly precision. My roommate declared himself the victor and went inside to gloat over his total domination; but he underestimated his foe. A few days later, there was a scuttle of activity in the enemy camp. It became abundantly clear that, though wounded, the ants were not yet defeated. Their morale was still high, and they began expanding their operations further into the driveway, toward the house.

My roommate, the clear superpower on our property, was shocked at their resilience and was forced to rethink his strategy. An upgrade in weaponry was acquired: an innocent looking white powder that was in reality one of the most deadly chemical weapons known to ant-kind. My roommate used this new weapon of death without mercy or restraint, and within minutes the battlefield was filled with the fallen troops of the enemy. “I am victorious!” my roommate announced to me, elated. “The enemy has tasted my wrath!” He was in a good mood the rest of the day.

The next day, however, his good mood was shattered by a shocking discovery: the enemy still lived. Over night the ants had been hard at work, clearing the battlefield of their dead and, somehow, freeing the entrances to their bases of the dangerous poison. One had to admire their determination. Had they been up against a lesser foe, perhaps their persistence would have given them victory in the end. But, unfortunately for them, they were facing my roommate, and now he was really ticked. I could sense that a massacre was brewing, and I did what I could to stop it. Throughout the entire conflict, I had acted as a war correspondent, an objective party taking no sides. Now I became mediator, trying to resolve the situation without further bloodshed. I tried to persuade my roommate to consider peaceful options, to open channels of diplomacy, to use economic sanctions. My efforts to maintain peace were disrupted; my roommate ignored my pleas, and I was too lazy to mount an effective protest. I was, it seems, not unlike the UN. In the end, no treaty was signed, and my roommate employed his chemical weaponry with impunity.

This time, the morale of the enemy troops was thoroughly broken. More enemy soldiers died in that battle than in the entire war to that point. Since that day of death, the enemy camp has been silent. There have been a few pockets of resistance, but the once mighty army of the ant people was shattered, their glory days over. My roommate takes no prisoners, shows no mercy, leaves no stone unturned. Every day brings repeated bombings with the chemical. The war is over. Yes, the humans won. Yes, my roommate has made the driveway safe for our children. Yes, my roommate has protected our home from invasion. But at what cost?

Lest we forget…. Lest we forget…

Comments

Anonymous said…
To the roommate I say "Good job and congratulations!" Making the driveway safe for children is an important job that is often over looked. I'm sure the ants are free to exist elsewhere just not on the driveway. So is it worth the cost? Of course!
Alicia said…
Like your blog lots. Good luck with the enemy.
topher clark said…
Matt, making the driveway safe for children is everyone's responsibility. The number one threat to driveway safety is garage door openers. Going up, going down, and often taking children with them. When will lazy Americans recognize that these fancy garage door openers are nothing more than deathtraps for the sticky fingered crowd?

Just something to think about. Congrats about the ants.
eleka nahmen said…
ROFL!!!!! I'm laughing SOO hard!!!! This one is my favorite. Have I mentioned how much I love your roomate? I can just see him warring upon the ants with death on his mind and glee in his eyes.
eleka nahmen said…
BTW - tell your roomate to ask me out!
Anonymous said…
Matt, you are so funny. But, what can you expect, you have always been funny, even as a small child. Maybe someday, I will tell the world the "How will my unborn brother come out into the world...how did he get in there" story!!!!
Celeste said…
Ohhhhhh Matt,I've never read anything you have written, and it's compleatly delightful. It makes me miss our Cymbeline trips, and hearing you non-capitalistic views. Thank you for giving me something entertaining to read at work. I beleive me, I need it. My life consists of "Hello this is Medical Savings, Oh you want to cancel?, because our product is horrible? great, let me transfer you." Thank you for sharing deep innerworkings of your mind. I feel priledged to be a friend of "the bard."
Celeste said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
Nice

Popular posts from this blog

The Only Thing We Have to Fear...

It's October, which means not only do I get to start dipping into my nifty fall wardrobe but also that Halloween is upon us. I think its great that we devote specific holidays to various basic emotions of the human psyche. Halloween = fear, Valentine's day = love, Thanksgiving = gratitude, St. Patrick's Day = envy, and Christmas = greed. We're just missing wrath, lust, pride, sloth, gluttony, and inadequecy. Clearly, more holidays are necessary. But that's a subject for another day. We don't want to give Halloween less than its due. Because seriously, how cool is Halloween? Its way off the scale on the cool-o-meter. When else can you see even the most pious and sensible people indulging in a little of the supernatural and occult by dressing up their children as vampires, witches, or ghosts? Well, that's how it was back in my day anyway (which was soooooo long ago), but today kids dress up as Jedi, princesses, Harry Potter, or Spiderman. They are totally miss

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent...

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. Though, despite the elaborate disguise Consisting of a single pair of bent, Simple specs, they're not two different guys But only one, still I said what I meant: I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent I guess because one of them's more like me And does not always get what he wants And struggles with our vulnerability. And does not by his perfection command The adoration of every woman and man But sits in the back, with nothing to say Just hoping that Lois Lane looks his way. She doesn't - her eyes are glued to the sky. Wake up, Lois! Can't you see the guy Waiting to love you with all of his might? He may not leap buildings, he may not fly, He may not see through you with x-ray eyes, He might need YOUR help, if that's alright, From time to time, when his mortal heart cries. He combs his hair neatly and fights through the crowd, Decides what to say, and rehearses out loud, He summons his

God Bless Us, Every One

Call me a Scrooge, but I've found that the last couple of years Christmas just hasn't carried the same sense of wonder and excitement it once did. When I was a kid, I was ready to pee my pants every day in December just thinking about the twenty-fifth, which crept closer so slowly that the month was always filled with blissfully tortuous anticipation. The sense of suspense, the agony of not knowing what the fantastically wrapped boxes contained, was only heightened by the lights, the music, the snow, and everything you knew meant it was Christmas time. Back then, my heart's desires cost about twenty bucks and, tragically, seemed both completely unobtainable and the key to my whole life's happiness. This was the season, then, when miracles of a very practical kind could happen; objects only admired on the shelf, or at a friend's, or in some abstract sense of obsession could literally become my own and wind up, eventually, in pieces somewhere in my closet. I like to c