Skip to main content

Petty Annoyances

It's been a frustrating week for me. I've tried to blog on several occasions, but nothing was coming out except for angry political rants and inflammatory statements of partisanship. Part of it, frankly, comes with my dissatisfaction with my job. But really, this has not been a good week in the news; I'm continually depressed by the state of the world. Yeah, we got Zarqawi. That's good. But somehow I couldn't bring myself to smile too much about it. Not with the death toll in Iraq growing exponentially, the absolutely ridiculous debates going on in the Senate, recent national security cuts at the hands of “strong-on-security” Republicans, not to mention the latest in the fiasco that is the lamentably weak inquiry into Bush's blatant breaking of established law. Anyway, I'll spare you all the political opinions (talk to me if you really care to hear them) and just say that the only thing that made the week bearable was the Daily Show. Jon Stewart is my hero. Seriously, I think I'm in love with him.

But the height of my frustration manifested itself yesterday during lunch. When you are already in a bad mood, petty annoyances can really get you down. Since I don't feel I can rant about the things that are really bothering me on the blog, I will content myself with humorously complaining about unimportant inconvieniances. Just for you.

I drove down to the dealership where I got my new car (which I still love, by the way, even after making my first car payment) to ask if they had received my license plates yet. I had been told that I would be called the moment they arrived, but it's been almost a month and my temporary registration expires on Saturday. After a few moments of confusion, they found my plates in their files. They'd been there since the 19th of May.

(The following is a reenactment of the incident.)

“I can't figure out why you aren't in the book,” the old lady at the counter said, over and over, “We do have these college girls who come in during the afternoon. I bet one of them neglected to do it, since it couldn't possibly have been me.”

“Shirley,” said her boss, a serious woman in a business suit, “This is the third time this has happened this week. Why don't you go through the plates and make sure they are all on our records?”

“I don't see why I should have to do that,” said the lady to me, after her boss had gone, “It was the college girls, not me.”

“Of course it was,” I said, checking the time. I was on my lunch break and had a very short amount of time to get food and get back to work.

“I mean, its so easy to get distracted and not stay on task here if you don't know what you are doing. There's a lot going on.”

“I bet,” I replied, “Can I have my plates now?”

“Oh, no, no... I have to write you down in the book. You see, we're required by law to have a written record of every set of plates that....” She paused to answer the phone, then transferred the call, “.... that comes through our... Let's see, where was I? Oh, the college girls. Yes, you see, I come in every morning until two o'clock, but in the afternoon these young girls work here. I've seen them sitting around, chatting away with customers. It's quite disgraceful. I used to work full time, but a few months back I decided, well my husband and I decided that.... oh, wait. What were you here for again? Yes, your plates. We need to put you in the book. Where's my pen? Ah, here it is. Now. Would you like us to put them on your car for you?”

“No, thank you. I can manage.”

“Are you sure? It's not a bother...” She answered the phone again.

“No, it's not a problem,” I said, after she hung up, “I'm just kind of in a hurry. I'm on my lunch break.”

“Oh, are you? I'm sorry, let me hurry and finish up here then. Let's see, what am I doing? Right, I'm writing you down in the book. Name, please? Wait, hold on....” She answered the phone again. “Ok, sorry. Your name? Ok.... Would you like us to put the plates on for you? Oh! I already asked you that, didn't I? How silly of me... Now, lets see. The number on the plates is 6..... 3......7...... oh, hold on one moment.” She answered the phone AGAIN. “Alright, now let's see. Here we go. Writing you in the book. Ok, you're all done. Wait, wait..... no, I'm sorry, you're done. Thank you for your patience!”

But I was already out the door. Once back in my car, I let out a little scream of frustration.

On my way back to work I decided to swing through the drive-through at Arby's. I was really hungry, and also dying of thirst.

“Can I take your order, sir?” asked the box.

“Yes, I'd like a number 15, please.”

“Ok, thats a roast beef sub, curly fries, and a large drink. What drink would you like?”

“Make it a Root Beer please.”

“I'm sorry, sir, we can only serve Pepsi at the drive-through.”

“Oh ok.... wait, what? I can't have a Root Beer?” I really hate Pepsi.

“No, sir, only Pepsi in the drive-through.”

“Do you realize that this is a perfect example of the illusion of choice when there really is none that exists so abundantly in an advanced capitalism such as ours?” (Ok, I didn't actually say this part out loud, but I sure wish I had!) “Basically, I can have any drink I'd like, but only if its Pepsi???”

“That will be $5.45 at the window, sir. Please pull around.” she said, tartly.

At the window, I declined to pay for the Pepsi. I took my curly fries and sub and drove off in a huff. I returned to work (also known as: the concentration camp of the mind, the gulag of the soul) and felt sorry for myself for a long, long time.

I consider myself a very patient person. Usually, I'm more than forgiving in incidents such as these. And I was, in all honesty, completely polite and patient on the exterior yesterday. But inside I was a stewing pile of discontent. I think everybody encounters this frustration now and then. Most people have at least one moment in their life, I think, where they begin to suspect that all of creation has somehow conspired against them, as if their unhappiness and dissatisfaction were a vital part of the grand scheme of things. It's easier than facing the truth that the universe, by and large, is coldly uninterested in the affairs of one tiny person on one tiny planet. The frustration, at least, lets us feel that we are somehow important, relevant. In the end, its easier to accept cosmic emnity than cosmic apathy.

Which gives credence to the idea that every man has an inner psycho killer, just waiting for the balance of power to shift just so, so it can come out and run amok with a sledgehammer.

Fortunately, things didn't go that far.

Comments

Unknown said…
Fortunately there's little addictive computer games to take our minds off of such petty grievances. . .
Anonymous said…
I am sorry Matt that you had such a bad day. Wait until you take your car back to have the cruise control looked at. Better take dad, or better yet take me. He can be far too nice in situations like this and I can be pretty brutal if needed.
Have better days Matt.
Love you
Mom

Popular posts from this blog

The Only Thing We Have to Fear...

It's October, which means not only do I get to start dipping into my nifty fall wardrobe but also that Halloween is upon us. I think its great that we devote specific holidays to various basic emotions of the human psyche. Halloween = fear, Valentine's day = love, Thanksgiving = gratitude, St. Patrick's Day = envy, and Christmas = greed. We're just missing wrath, lust, pride, sloth, gluttony, and inadequecy. Clearly, more holidays are necessary. But that's a subject for another day. We don't want to give Halloween less than its due. Because seriously, how cool is Halloween? Its way off the scale on the cool-o-meter. When else can you see even the most pious and sensible people indulging in a little of the supernatural and occult by dressing up their children as vampires, witches, or ghosts? Well, that's how it was back in my day anyway (which was soooooo long ago), but today kids dress up as Jedi, princesses, Harry Potter, or Spiderman. They are totally miss

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent...

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. Though, despite the elaborate disguise Consisting of a single pair of bent, Simple specs, they're not two different guys But only one, still I said what I meant: I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent I guess because one of them's more like me And does not always get what he wants And struggles with our vulnerability. And does not by his perfection command The adoration of every woman and man But sits in the back, with nothing to say Just hoping that Lois Lane looks his way. She doesn't - her eyes are glued to the sky. Wake up, Lois! Can't you see the guy Waiting to love you with all of his might? He may not leap buildings, he may not fly, He may not see through you with x-ray eyes, He might need YOUR help, if that's alright, From time to time, when his mortal heart cries. He combs his hair neatly and fights through the crowd, Decides what to say, and rehearses out loud, He summons his

God Bless Us, Every One

Call me a Scrooge, but I've found that the last couple of years Christmas just hasn't carried the same sense of wonder and excitement it once did. When I was a kid, I was ready to pee my pants every day in December just thinking about the twenty-fifth, which crept closer so slowly that the month was always filled with blissfully tortuous anticipation. The sense of suspense, the agony of not knowing what the fantastically wrapped boxes contained, was only heightened by the lights, the music, the snow, and everything you knew meant it was Christmas time. Back then, my heart's desires cost about twenty bucks and, tragically, seemed both completely unobtainable and the key to my whole life's happiness. This was the season, then, when miracles of a very practical kind could happen; objects only admired on the shelf, or at a friend's, or in some abstract sense of obsession could literally become my own and wind up, eventually, in pieces somewhere in my closet. I like to c