Skip to main content

Matt's Magical Mix of Music

I know you like me. Ok, perhaps “like” is too strong of a word, but I clearly don't totally drive you crazy, or why would you keep coming back to read my blog? Seriously. Unless you are some kind of masochist or something. I think we can safely assume, then, that you like me, and so I won't feel bad about continuing to talk about myself. See, people often discuss things that they have in common, and this is what you and I have in common: we both like me. And if you are a regular reader of my blog, you probably wish you could know more about me.

Well, today we are going to explore an aspect of my life which I usually keep completely hidden from everybody. For the first time ever, I'm going to pull back the lid and let it all hang loose, so to speak. Hold on to your seats, my friends, because we are going on a wild thrill ride through the depths of..... Matt's iPod! (cue dramatic music here).

I decided to let you in on a bit of my eccentricity by putting my iPod on shuffle and revealing the first ten songs that it pulls up. I must first say that my taste in music is extremely esoteric and diverse. I love all kinds of music that I don't actually have on my iPod. What is on this blessed little device represents only music that I have access to or like to listen to often. Some of it is shamefully shallow and mainstream, some unpardonably unhip and old fashioned. Some of it may, frankly, cause you to question my sexuality. But in the interest of a full disclosure, I will reveal all. I'm not ashamed! Now, oh blessed iPod, reveal to us thy inner secrets!

1.“Santa Monica,” by Savage Garden.
I know a lot of people who hate these guys, but I rather like them and have two of their albums on here. They are a bit cheesy, but I'm a fan. So sue me. This is from their first album and its possibly my favorite track on that album. Thanks, iPod! Moving on....

2.“Bring Him Home,” from Les Miserables
Ok, I knew a song from a musical was going to come up, but this is seriously like the only song from “Les Miz” on here. What are the odds?? There's no reason for me to listen to the whole thing any more as I listened to it so many times in high school that the entire CD exists in my head and can be called forth at will.

3.“All That I Love,” from Martin Guerre
Oh look at that. Another musical. And its written by the same folks who wrote Les Miserables. Well, what can I say? This is an especially sappy love declaration that I usually skip past but its not bad when I'm in the proper mood. The whole musical is like that: extremely dramatic! It really works for me at times.

4.“London” by Third Eye Blind
I really like these guys and have since high school. Nice sound. I'm not as familiar with this song as I am with many of the others on the album, but I'm listening to it now and its certainly not bad at all. “God of Wine” is probably my favorite song on this, their first album.

5.“End It On This” by No Doubt
You see, I'm generally about ten years behind the mainstream, so here we have yet another 90s group. I really like this “Tragic Kingdom” album, and have ever since I heard it (several years AFTER it came out and was cool). “Don't Speak,” is still one of my favorite songs.

6.“Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again” - ALW's Phantom
Oh, sure! All the cheesy musicals are showing up. Like Les Miz, Phantom only has this one song represented on my iPod. I appreciate Phantom for introducing me to the musical world, but I kind of consider it to be the Britney Spears of musicals. Sorry, just my opinion.

7.“This is the Moment” from Jekyll & Hyde
Oh man. This is getting embarrassing. I kind of want to stop and start over now. I have cool music, I promise. This is a rather cheesily inspiring little tune from a rather depressing little musical, another one that only has a song or two on the whole iPod. Whats the deal?

8.“Precarious” by Blues Traveller
Another song that came out when I was in high school. I'm noticing a trend. I do rather like the Blues Traveller sound, but I have only three of their songs on here that I listen to regularly. This is one of them. Gotta love that bridge, its fantastic! And anything with a harmonica solo is good in my book.

9.“Over the Moon” from Rent
Yup. I love Rent. Go figure. I never listened to this track until I saw the movie, where its performed so well by Broadway diva Idina Menzel that I love it now.

10.“Fire and Rain” by James Taylor
I really like Mr. Taylor and his smooth brand of folksy music. It really mellows me out, and this song is widely regarded, I believe, as one of his best. I certainly find it catchy. Its kind of making me want to take a pleasant and comfy nap right now, honestly.

Ok, I'm not sure the shuffle really represented my music collection accurately. Just for kicks I'm going to list the next 10 songs, only without any of the commentary. Just so we can see if we get a more accurate view of my collection:

11.“The Animal Song,” by Savage Garden
12.“I Am a Sentimental Man” from Wicked
13.“Concede” by Sister Hazel
14.“Henry V's Theme” from Henry V
15.“Different People” by No Doubt
16.“When You Say You Love Me” by Josh Groban
17.“You Must Love Me” from Evita
18.“The Tusken Camp” from Star Wars: Episode II
19.“The Way She Loves Me” by Tonic
20.“Follow the Music” by Harry Connick, Jr.


No, I don't think I came out any better with that one. Cheesy musicals, 90s music, and soundtracks from movies hardly anybody likes but me. And Josh Groban! Um.... how did that get there? Er.... I know I said earlier that I'm not ashamed, but lets just forget this ever happened, ok? In fact, I don't even HAVE an iPod! Ahem.... So! I'm just going to go... over there.... now....

Comments

Unknown said…
I've always been a little dissapointed with my Ipod's shuffle ability. It has this knack to pick songs that I don't really want to listen to and am not sure why I even put on there in the first place.

Speaking of Rent, ever since ACTF I cannot get "Light My Candle" out of my head.
Tolkien Boy said…
You're a braver man than I. I would never reveal my musical tastes.
Anonymous said…
Light my candle? That isn't even the best song in the show. I'm disappointed. As for musicals, matt, just because you have lots of musicals doesnt mean you're not cool, or not manly... musicals have men in them too, remember... and the male characters are usually awesome too! So there! SJay
Anonymous said…
nothing from Superman?
Matt Haws said…
Nothing from Superman, but if thats what you're looking for check my most recent post. Just for you. Whoever you are.
Anonymous said…
Hattchew.....will you burn me another wicked cd...dad ruined mine...i MUST HAVE WICKED!!!!!!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Only Thing We Have to Fear...

It's October, which means not only do I get to start dipping into my nifty fall wardrobe but also that Halloween is upon us. I think its great that we devote specific holidays to various basic emotions of the human psyche. Halloween = fear, Valentine's day = love, Thanksgiving = gratitude, St. Patrick's Day = envy, and Christmas = greed. We're just missing wrath, lust, pride, sloth, gluttony, and inadequecy. Clearly, more holidays are necessary. But that's a subject for another day. We don't want to give Halloween less than its due. Because seriously, how cool is Halloween? Its way off the scale on the cool-o-meter. When else can you see even the most pious and sensible people indulging in a little of the supernatural and occult by dressing up their children as vampires, witches, or ghosts? Well, that's how it was back in my day anyway (which was soooooo long ago), but today kids dress up as Jedi, princesses, Harry Potter, or Spiderman. They are totally miss

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent...

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. Though, despite the elaborate disguise Consisting of a single pair of bent, Simple specs, they're not two different guys But only one, still I said what I meant: I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent I guess because one of them's more like me And does not always get what he wants And struggles with our vulnerability. And does not by his perfection command The adoration of every woman and man But sits in the back, with nothing to say Just hoping that Lois Lane looks his way. She doesn't - her eyes are glued to the sky. Wake up, Lois! Can't you see the guy Waiting to love you with all of his might? He may not leap buildings, he may not fly, He may not see through you with x-ray eyes, He might need YOUR help, if that's alright, From time to time, when his mortal heart cries. He combs his hair neatly and fights through the crowd, Decides what to say, and rehearses out loud, He summons his

God Bless Us, Every One

Call me a Scrooge, but I've found that the last couple of years Christmas just hasn't carried the same sense of wonder and excitement it once did. When I was a kid, I was ready to pee my pants every day in December just thinking about the twenty-fifth, which crept closer so slowly that the month was always filled with blissfully tortuous anticipation. The sense of suspense, the agony of not knowing what the fantastically wrapped boxes contained, was only heightened by the lights, the music, the snow, and everything you knew meant it was Christmas time. Back then, my heart's desires cost about twenty bucks and, tragically, seemed both completely unobtainable and the key to my whole life's happiness. This was the season, then, when miracles of a very practical kind could happen; objects only admired on the shelf, or at a friend's, or in some abstract sense of obsession could literally become my own and wind up, eventually, in pieces somewhere in my closet. I like to c