Skip to main content

Thank You

I'm pretty much an ingrateful little jerk, as many of my therapists have said, but once and awhile even I feel the need to express my gratitude to the people who make my life so worth living. So I thought that I'd do it on my blog even though 1- its kind of late being several days after thanksgiving and all, and 2- most of the people I'm going to thank don't even know I have a blog and, in some cases, don't have any idea what a blog is. I hesitate to name specific names here mostly because I can't possibly list every single person who I am indebted to and appreciate in my life, and I'm tired and pressed for time and so I don't want anybody to feel left out if their name isn't on the list. But then I remember point #2 of my previous list and I think I'll probably be OK. If I miss anybody, its not becuase I don't love you. Ask me in person and I will tell you why I am thankful for you and then I will put you on my blog in a place of honor. I'm going to put the names in alphabetical order, too, so that nobody can feel slighted for having their name futher down on the list (though techinically this is good news for my friend Aaron). Alright, here goes. Let the touchy-feely stuff begin:

This year, at Thanksgiving time, I am grateful for the many wonderful people who brighten my life and make me feel like I'm worth something. Here are some of them. I am grateful:

To Aaron (and Mandy), for opening up your home and making me feel part of the family, like a brother, and letting me be part of a truly epic story and make truly epic friends.

To Adrian, for all the advice on the ladies, for your infectious enthusiasm, and for inspiring me to write.

To Bekah, for always looking up to me and liking me more than Blaine.

To Ben, for all the nerdy male-bonding as well as the wicked cool chemistry on stage in 2.1

To Blaine, for getting all my jokes, for quoting stuff from memory with me in perfect unison, and for being my best friend and cohort for as long as I can remember.

To Celeste, for being larger than life and amazing to watch, for letting me share the stage with you, and for punching me with joy when you see me. We're going to be in a show together again, you just wait.

To Chris, for making me crack up all the time, even on stage, for reminding me not to take anything too seriously, for the confidence you've given me, and for all the crazy stories.

To Dad, for teaching me how to laugh, for always being proud of me, and for being my friend.

To Dai, for explaining so much of the world to me, for all the fascinating trivia, good food, book recommendations, erudite conversations, and for shocking people who deserve it. I'm sorry.

To Dana, for being wonderful and reminding me what selflessness really means.

To Darci, for being so darling and adorable that I smile to see you, for listening to all my rambling stories, and for not always agreeing with everything Tyler and Leif say (You go, girl!)

To Debra, for being so fun to act with and be with and for keeping your boss in line.

To Derek, for getting in contact with me again, for reminding me that not all my memories of childhood are awful, for still being my best friend after years and years of separation.

To Grandma and Grandpa, for the food, the hugs, the example, and everything.

To John, for reminding me to look for the beauty in everything.

To Laura, for liking Hedwig as much as I do, for making life seem fascinating, and for loving art and beauty and England so much. You're a wonderful person.

To Leif, for being patient with all my faults, for loving all my strengths, for always being two steps ahead of me, for being the friend I can't live without, but most of all for changing the way I look at the world and making each day an adventure.

To Luke, for being so unique in a world full of carbon copies, for being honest and open, and for being such a geniunely good guy.

To Mom, for making me feel special and loved no matter what, for being there when I needed you most, and for giving birth to me. That was such a turning point in my life.

To my favorite Aunts (you know who you are)and your wonderful children for putting the fun back in "family function."

To Nick, for listening to me even when you didn't really want to, for trying to create things with me even though the marriage of our minds has only produced ugly, warped children due to my defective genes, for that laugh of yours, and for taking me up into the woods that night. Seriously man, that was way too nice of you.

To Say Jay, for being a good conversationalist, for liking Two Gents, and for always posting comments on my blog.

To Spencer, for the gaming, the skinny dipping, the debating, and the teasing - and most of all for making me laugh.

To Sylvia, for teaching me to dress well, for being supportive in all my decisions, for the intelligent discussions about theater, and for being my home away from home when we were in England together.

To Tyler, for making everything in life so much more amusing with your droll wit, for being a good friend to Leif, for your Homer Simpson impersonation, and especially for that eyebrow thing you do that makes you look all skeptical and condescending - it's so you.

To the guy who invented Egg Nogg. Really, dude, you rock.

To everybody I know who has made me smile.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey baby. Thanks for the shoutout, sincerely. I want to say my Thank You in person, the next time we meet as the JLAW. I miss you. Come over and let me get your back over that hill in Call of Duty 2.
Anonymous said…
Oh, you're so right, this was a good blog! And thanks be to you too, for all the rides, the million laughs and smiles, and also, the ethereally wonderful conversations we have. Its been fun to get to know you better, and I hope it continually continues. Oh, and thanks in the future for coming to the play on Saturday and looking past the questionable acting that I shall be presenting. And thanks for liking my name; I was having a downer today, you helped turn it up a bit.
Say Jay
Anonymous said…
PS... I copied you. Such a good idea. On my blog: www.livejournal.com/users/stargirlsayj enjoy. sj
Anonymous said…
Thanks, Matt. After a day when one's mom asks if he is depressed, it's good to hear that I can--or once was--a source of humor. Not the dried-up bitter heart that I have become. Later.
Anonymous said…
Reading your blogs has reminded me why it was so much hanging out with you and being your friend. Thanks for always making others smile!

Popular posts from this blog

The Only Thing We Have to Fear...

It's October, which means not only do I get to start dipping into my nifty fall wardrobe but also that Halloween is upon us. I think its great that we devote specific holidays to various basic emotions of the human psyche. Halloween = fear, Valentine's day = love, Thanksgiving = gratitude, St. Patrick's Day = envy, and Christmas = greed. We're just missing wrath, lust, pride, sloth, gluttony, and inadequecy. Clearly, more holidays are necessary. But that's a subject for another day. We don't want to give Halloween less than its due. Because seriously, how cool is Halloween? Its way off the scale on the cool-o-meter. When else can you see even the most pious and sensible people indulging in a little of the supernatural and occult by dressing up their children as vampires, witches, or ghosts? Well, that's how it was back in my day anyway (which was soooooo long ago), but today kids dress up as Jedi, princesses, Harry Potter, or Spiderman. They are totally miss

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent...

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. Though, despite the elaborate disguise Consisting of a single pair of bent, Simple specs, they're not two different guys But only one, still I said what I meant: I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent I guess because one of them's more like me And does not always get what he wants And struggles with our vulnerability. And does not by his perfection command The adoration of every woman and man But sits in the back, with nothing to say Just hoping that Lois Lane looks his way. She doesn't - her eyes are glued to the sky. Wake up, Lois! Can't you see the guy Waiting to love you with all of his might? He may not leap buildings, he may not fly, He may not see through you with x-ray eyes, He might need YOUR help, if that's alright, From time to time, when his mortal heart cries. He combs his hair neatly and fights through the crowd, Decides what to say, and rehearses out loud, He summons his

God Bless Us, Every One

Call me a Scrooge, but I've found that the last couple of years Christmas just hasn't carried the same sense of wonder and excitement it once did. When I was a kid, I was ready to pee my pants every day in December just thinking about the twenty-fifth, which crept closer so slowly that the month was always filled with blissfully tortuous anticipation. The sense of suspense, the agony of not knowing what the fantastically wrapped boxes contained, was only heightened by the lights, the music, the snow, and everything you knew meant it was Christmas time. Back then, my heart's desires cost about twenty bucks and, tragically, seemed both completely unobtainable and the key to my whole life's happiness. This was the season, then, when miracles of a very practical kind could happen; objects only admired on the shelf, or at a friend's, or in some abstract sense of obsession could literally become my own and wind up, eventually, in pieces somewhere in my closet. I like to c