Skip to main content

Lost: My Muse - $20 Reward

I think my imagination is dead, and I think I know exactly who the murderer is. You see, the “golden days” of my blog, when ideas for fun posts were coming every other minute, coincided perfectly with the period of time in which I was not in school and unemployed, and therefore in possession of no small amount of free time to just sit and brainstorm. Now, my full-time job gives me little time to think about anything but frozen TV dinners and paperwork associated therewith, and what free time I do have I want to spend on video games or TV, not on anything associated with thinking. It just proves what I’ve always believed: once you join the corporate world, the artistic side of your brain just shrivels up and dies. Yes, I have more than a little streak of bohemian in me (viva la vie boheme!) but its true that by the time I’m finished with work I barely have enough creative juice to get me through rehearsals for the two plays I’m in, so forget about a clever idea for the blog.

Which reminds me of these fitting lines, written by the poet:

Ah Muse, thou life in life!
Who in my youth did onetime grace
Me in the labored strains of strife,
Did bless my eyes, and touch my face,
Now with the stinging of a knife
Emptiness doth claim thy place!

Now you are probably thinking that by “the poet,” I mean Shakespeare or somebody, but in this case I am, of course, referring to myself (but thanks for mistaking my humble verse for that of Shakespeare!). As you can surely tell, I wrote these lines during the height of my romantic/transcendental phase when my greatest ambition was to be John Keats. Another frighteningly transcendental poem from the same period was called “Upon First Reading Emerson and Thoreau, 3rd October 2003” which is an interesting read, if you are interested in literary periods and that sort of thing. I’ll assume that most of you aren’t and have no idea what I’m talking about and will move on politely. (But you English majors know where I’m coming from.)

The point is, I was actually writing back then. I was creating! Ideas came intermittently and painfully, but at least they came. I was thinking about all that this morning as I got up to go to work, grumbling to myself about the ungodly hour that I was expected to leave my comfortable bed and wanting to blame my job for just about every problem that exists in my life. You see, this is my first full-time job ever, and its been interesting to try to adjust to spending the large majority of my time every day at work. You may say I have a poor work ethic, and I’d be hard pressed to disagree with you. But I’m getting better.

But I realized today, at some point, that I can’t really blame anybody but me for my recent artistic deficiencies. With just a little bit of thinking during my lunch break I was able to readily come up with two or three things I could write about on my blog, and I recently completed a short story for my ever-delinquent writing group that I’m quite proud of. Things aren’t as bad as I would like to make out, and what is lacking is my own fault. So we found the culprit at last, and it is my persistent laziness, which is, I would have to confess, one of my defining characteristics and the quality most likely to cause me to die feeling that my life was of no purpose to anybody.

Allow me to come to the conclusion without any further ado: I do hereby swear to put more effort into writing for the blog, not just for you, my adoring public, but because I can do it, and I should do it, and I want to do it. I commit myself to two posts a week, at the absolute minimum. And you people must commit to read what I write, and to leave an appropriate amount of comments so that I feel loved and needed. I mean, have you seen my friend Chris Clark’s blog? Twenty to thirty comments for each post! As if he of all people needed his ego inflated any more! They don’t even have to be positive comments, or relate in anyway to what the post is about. I just want to hear from my friends sometimes. Is that too much to ask?

Ok, so I’ve got wry, self-depricating post in the works (as the over-all theme of the blog is, if you haven’t noticed yet, wry self-deprication) so check back in a couple of days. Tell your friends, folks, the Ramblings are back!

Comments

Celeste said…
Matt, If you don't know, this is Celeste, I'm still having a problem with this whole blog thing, I've tried to make an account, but I can't get MY name to appear. Anyway, You and Chri's blog's are the highlight of my life. I have a very boring "corporate" job as well, and reading your blogs are the only spark of happiness I get during the boring hours of mindless work. SO thank you!!! I check your blog everyday, so I'm excited for your new 2-a-week-goal.
topher clark said…
Matt. Re: my ego. Duly noted.

But how could you write an entire blog about muses and NEVER ONCE mention Kyra, the Muse from Xanadu? I think the minute you let Kyra out of your life, the minute your well dried up.

My suggestion is that you write a blog on a piece of paper, then tear it up and say, 'Ah, what the hell. Guys like me shouldn't dream anyway.' And then throw it out the window.

You won't believe what will happen next!!!!
topher clark said…
Celeste. Re: Chri's blog. Who is that? Sounds fascinating!

I can help you with your blog. Come to Hamlet rehearsal and bring your laptop.
Celeste said…
RE: Chri's blog
See this is why I don't blog! I'm a horrible speller and grammarizer. I just can't compete with the english majors. Forget it! And Chris thank you for the help, but I'm not some fancy shamcy college professor, and I don't own a laptop. But I would like to come to Hamlet rehearsal, and reminece, reminice,remanese, remanese, reminisce?
Matt Haws said…
Re: What the heck are you guys doing using my blog for your personal correspondance?

Chris, you'll never believe what happened to me. A girl with a bad hair cut roller skated up to me in the park the other day and gave me a huge kiss, and then zoomed away at the speed of light. Since then, my luck's really been changing! And I just can't seem to get ELO out of my head! Crazy, or what??

Popular posts from this blog

The Only Thing We Have to Fear...

It's October, which means not only do I get to start dipping into my nifty fall wardrobe but also that Halloween is upon us. I think its great that we devote specific holidays to various basic emotions of the human psyche. Halloween = fear, Valentine's day = love, Thanksgiving = gratitude, St. Patrick's Day = envy, and Christmas = greed. We're just missing wrath, lust, pride, sloth, gluttony, and inadequecy. Clearly, more holidays are necessary. But that's a subject for another day. We don't want to give Halloween less than its due. Because seriously, how cool is Halloween? Its way off the scale on the cool-o-meter. When else can you see even the most pious and sensible people indulging in a little of the supernatural and occult by dressing up their children as vampires, witches, or ghosts? Well, that's how it was back in my day anyway (which was soooooo long ago), but today kids dress up as Jedi, princesses, Harry Potter, or Spiderman. They are totally miss

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent...

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. Though, despite the elaborate disguise Consisting of a single pair of bent, Simple specs, they're not two different guys But only one, still I said what I meant: I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent I guess because one of them's more like me And does not always get what he wants And struggles with our vulnerability. And does not by his perfection command The adoration of every woman and man But sits in the back, with nothing to say Just hoping that Lois Lane looks his way. She doesn't - her eyes are glued to the sky. Wake up, Lois! Can't you see the guy Waiting to love you with all of his might? He may not leap buildings, he may not fly, He may not see through you with x-ray eyes, He might need YOUR help, if that's alright, From time to time, when his mortal heart cries. He combs his hair neatly and fights through the crowd, Decides what to say, and rehearses out loud, He summons his

God Bless Us, Every One

Call me a Scrooge, but I've found that the last couple of years Christmas just hasn't carried the same sense of wonder and excitement it once did. When I was a kid, I was ready to pee my pants every day in December just thinking about the twenty-fifth, which crept closer so slowly that the month was always filled with blissfully tortuous anticipation. The sense of suspense, the agony of not knowing what the fantastically wrapped boxes contained, was only heightened by the lights, the music, the snow, and everything you knew meant it was Christmas time. Back then, my heart's desires cost about twenty bucks and, tragically, seemed both completely unobtainable and the key to my whole life's happiness. This was the season, then, when miracles of a very practical kind could happen; objects only admired on the shelf, or at a friend's, or in some abstract sense of obsession could literally become my own and wind up, eventually, in pieces somewhere in my closet. I like to c