Skip to main content

Bulking Up

And now for something completely different:

My roommate and I went shopping at Costco yesterday, after he persuaded me that buying in bulk was the cost-effective and masculine thing to do. I didn’t have a huge grocery list or anything – I just wanted to purchase the ingredients I would need to make a favorite dish of mine. My mother and I invented it when I was quite young. She was improvising on the ingredients to use, so I helped with a few random suggestions and, if I remember correctly, was allowed to stir. My mother indulgently named the result after me, which was quite an honor because up to that point I had never had any sort of food bear my name.

So I was in Costco with my roommate, buying the ingredients for Matt salad, when I began to get frustrated with the whole “buying in bulk” thing. I needed a bag of noodles, as Matt salad is a variation of the popular pasta salad, but you cannot buy a bag of noodles at Costco. You can only buy eight to ten bags. A can of olives? Forget about it! There’s only jars and cases and boxes full! I began to get grumpy, so my roommate explained that in the long run I would save money by buying a pack of ten bags of noodles rather than buying just one.

His argument makes sense – when applied to any other human being but me. If I had ten bags of noodles in my cupboard, I would never use them. Most likely I would forget they were there altogether, as I regularly buy food that I forget I have. Now I spent money on ten bags of noodles, nine of which disappear of the face of the planet only to be discovered when I move, and all I needed in the first place was a single package!

I guess the bulk thing is alright, but I don’t know if its really my thing. Something about the whole place began to feel a bit… excessive. You know, like mansions with five hundred rooms kind of excessive. Its hard for me not to feel like its going a little overboard to buy a gallon of soy sauce, or a bucket of mustard. Its difficult not to remember there are starving people in Africa when I’m looking at a massive barrel of applesauce on sale for five bucks (which is perhaps the wrong thing to think of, because who knows if Africans even like applesauce? Lots of people don't.) Logically, I understand the economic benefit of buying in bulk, and I understand why Costco is such a hot spot especially if you are feeding a family. On my birthday I spent an afternoon with my grandmother and most of my aunts, who spent a long time taking turns to talk about their favorite thing to buy at Costco. For the busy mother, buying in bulk is clearly a great blessing. Something about it makes me uncomfortable, and its difficult for me to put my finger on why.

Under the great dome of Costco, I stand amazed at the world we live in, enjoying economic success unlike any generation or age before us. I know not everybody in the past or even in the present was/is able to enjoy the same benefits, so I begin to feel guilty that I’m so lucky. I feel the same kind of guilt when I look in the mirror and realize I’m one sexy, talented piece of man flesh. It’s the guilt that comes with great blessings that you don’t feel you deserve.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have ten bags of noodles worth of Matt salad to consume. You should come over and have some.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hmm... that's a lot of guilt. Did you go to a Catholic grade school?
Matt Haws said…
No, but you know as well as I that Mormons can go toe to toe with Catholics when it comes to guilt.
Alicia said…
True that on the guilt card. Also, what else is in this Matt salad?
Matt Haws said…
oh, just some noodles, frozen peas, ham, cheese, olives, mayonaise... its been done before, but when I was a kid I thought I was the first person in the world to think of it.
Anonymous said…
Mayo?!? Maybe that's where the guilt is coming from.
Anonymous said…
I hope the roomie was Leif.. what a cutie! I still want him for a son-in-law

Popular posts from this blog

The Only Thing We Have to Fear...

It's October, which means not only do I get to start dipping into my nifty fall wardrobe but also that Halloween is upon us. I think its great that we devote specific holidays to various basic emotions of the human psyche. Halloween = fear, Valentine's day = love, Thanksgiving = gratitude, St. Patrick's Day = envy, and Christmas = greed. We're just missing wrath, lust, pride, sloth, gluttony, and inadequecy. Clearly, more holidays are necessary. But that's a subject for another day. We don't want to give Halloween less than its due. Because seriously, how cool is Halloween? Its way off the scale on the cool-o-meter. When else can you see even the most pious and sensible people indulging in a little of the supernatural and occult by dressing up their children as vampires, witches, or ghosts? Well, that's how it was back in my day anyway (which was soooooo long ago), but today kids dress up as Jedi, princesses, Harry Potter, or Spiderman. They are totally miss

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent...

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. Though, despite the elaborate disguise Consisting of a single pair of bent, Simple specs, they're not two different guys But only one, still I said what I meant: I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent I guess because one of them's more like me And does not always get what he wants And struggles with our vulnerability. And does not by his perfection command The adoration of every woman and man But sits in the back, with nothing to say Just hoping that Lois Lane looks his way. She doesn't - her eyes are glued to the sky. Wake up, Lois! Can't you see the guy Waiting to love you with all of his might? He may not leap buildings, he may not fly, He may not see through you with x-ray eyes, He might need YOUR help, if that's alright, From time to time, when his mortal heart cries. He combs his hair neatly and fights through the crowd, Decides what to say, and rehearses out loud, He summons his

God Bless Us, Every One

Call me a Scrooge, but I've found that the last couple of years Christmas just hasn't carried the same sense of wonder and excitement it once did. When I was a kid, I was ready to pee my pants every day in December just thinking about the twenty-fifth, which crept closer so slowly that the month was always filled with blissfully tortuous anticipation. The sense of suspense, the agony of not knowing what the fantastically wrapped boxes contained, was only heightened by the lights, the music, the snow, and everything you knew meant it was Christmas time. Back then, my heart's desires cost about twenty bucks and, tragically, seemed both completely unobtainable and the key to my whole life's happiness. This was the season, then, when miracles of a very practical kind could happen; objects only admired on the shelf, or at a friend's, or in some abstract sense of obsession could literally become my own and wind up, eventually, in pieces somewhere in my closet. I like to c