Skip to main content

Childhood Obsession & The Digitized Pilgrimage

I’ve been dealing a lot with memories of my past here on my blog within the last couple of weeks. I guess I feel like this electronic medium is my opportunity to introduce myself to the world. And I’m pleased to say that all three of you who read it have made feel as if the world is happy to know me. So to continue in the same vein, I’m going to discuss one of the many memorable aspects of my childhood.

Let it be said first of all that I am, despite all appearances, quite a nerd and I love video games. Just so you know what you are dealing with. You see, this fascination with electronic entertainment began when I was quite young. I blame my father, because, to the best of my memory, the first game I ever played was a pseudo-text based, crappy ASCII-graphics DOS game called CASTLE, which my father introduced to me in the computer lab at the university he was attending. At some point we actually owned an Atari, that ancient precursor of the modern home video game console, but it vanished under quite mysterious circumstances when I was very young and obviously very addicted to it.

I was still in elementary school when Nintendo released its top-of-the-line entertainment system. With the iconic Mario, the Italian/plumber/hero (who thought of that?), at the lead, Nintendo effectively began to steer the video game market away from arcades and in to people’s homes. It’s 8-bit color graphics tantalized the young imagination. It supported two controllers for multiplayer modes, an actual freaking gun you could shoot ducks with, a pad you could stomp on to make the little guys run (“but its exercise, Mom!”) AND could be played on any TV, anywhere! My cousins even put one in their fort in their backyard. And the games! Super Mario Bros., Excitebike, Duck Hunt, Castlevania, Contra, Double Dragon, Mega Man, and of course the original Zelda; a veritable plethora of pre-adolescent lust magnets.

And I had never in all my eight years lusted after anything so strongly. I wanted a Nintendo so badly my body shook with desire. My head swam with visions of the enduring bliss and happiness that simply possessing this magic device would bring. My parents, tragically, were firmly opposed to purchasing one. I was convinced that this was only because they hated me and wanted me to be miserable. I don’t quite remember, but its possible that it was an argument over the Nintendo that led me to cry out threateningly to my parents, “Well then…. I’m just going to go outside and BLEED.” How was I to know, so young and unacquainted with the world as I was, that we were struggling to put my dad through school and raise two children? That money was, at best, scarce if present at all? I believed, innocently and intently, that my behavior was the only determining factor in winning the prize. I promised to be good, to share with my brother, to go outside now and then. Nothing worked.

As a result, I gravitated then to those whose parents were less cruel than my own, which seemed to be just about everybody. I was sure I was the only boy in my entire class whose family didn’t own a Nintendo. I know because I was at their houses whenever possible, invited or not, waiting for my turn, my precious few minutes of nirvana stolen quickly and desperately. When I couldn’t play, I watched, learning, trying to master the techniques in my head. And I was pretty dang good, if I do say so myself; nobody could rescue the princess like I could, even if she was always in some other blasted castle. It was the quest, the journey, a digitized pilgrimage to that ever elusive goal that entranced me. Mushrooms, coins, power-ups, the flower that inexplicably granted flame-throwing powers, turtles, pipes, extra lives, warp zones, vines that grew out of nothing… it didn’t have to make sense. It was a world all of its own, one that I loved dearly.

I went through a particularly bad phase where I’d often dream that my parents had broken down and purchased the blessed device. With bounding joy and enthusiasm I would open the box – and open my eyes, realizing after a few seconds of disorientation that it was just a dream, the princess was in another castle, the coveted prized obtained then suddenly pulled away and hidden forever. I’d cry a little, then, with all the frustration my little heart could muster. You may roll your eyes all you wish, and shake your head at the silly little things that occupied the most important places of my mind, but the world of the child is so unobstructed and carefree that those things we adults think of as most trivial become for him the most important, the vital, the essential. There was no debt, or work, or war, or politics, or bills, or violence to occupy the mind; how lucky we were!

Eventually, the Super Nintendo came out, blowing away its predecessor with the sheer might of its 16-bit graphics, smaller game cartridges, and extensive line of quality games: new Marios, new Zeldas, F-Zero, Actraiser, Battletoads, Final Fantasy III, just to name a few. As you might guess, I now cared nothing for the older system – my eyes were now set firmly upon the mighty SNES, the next in what I thought for sure was a never-ending Nintendo dynasty of home entertainment systems. Sure, other consoles came along, the Sega Genesis most notably, but my heart belonged to the little man with a mustache in the red suit and everything he stood for. I continued to exploit my friends for a few minutes of game time, and to negotiate with my parents with every bargaining chip I had in my possession (I now realize I had absolutely none), but nothing ever changed.

I entered junior high, and high school, and the Nintendo 64 was released. This was beyond anything I could ever imagine that video games could be. 3D environments, moving camera views, tiny cartridges, and games like the newest Mario, James Bond, Star Wars, Zelda, and more. Surely my parents could not fail to see that the most advanced gaming system in the world belonged in my able hands! They could. I kept waiting, hoping that this Christmas, this birthday would be the day they finally made their first-born son’s little dream come true. My eyes would wander over the delicately wrapped presents under the tree, passing uninterestedly over the small rectangular boxes that were obviously clothes, homing in on the big, promising packages that would later turn out to be just a big box of clothes or perhaps a really neat board game whose pieces would inevitably disappear or break before New Years.

Well, my story does have a happy ending, of a sort. My junior year in high school my entire English class was forced by the teacher to write an essay for a state-wide contest, and I won third place and one hundred dollars. Another girl in my glass took second, and so an article appeared in the school newspaper about our victory. We were both asked how we would spend the money. She said, “I’m going to put it in my college fund,” and I said, “I’m buying an Nintendo!”

And so it came to pass that I walked out of Toys R’ Us one day with the box containing my lifelong dream under my arm. The sun shone brightly, and all the world seemed happier, kinder, lovelier. I had reached the final castle, overcome the last and final obstacle; there would be no false prizes this time, no mushroom people in drag snickering to themselves, waiting to reveal that my quest was not yet over, my reward delayed yet again in a painful cycle. The princess was here, and she wasn’t going anywhere. I put my free arm around my brother and pulled him close. “Never forget,” I said, my voice filling with emotion, “your dreams can come true.”

A few months later was my brother’s birthday, and my parents bought him a Playstation.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I laughed my stupid head off at this. And then, honestly, I cried. Good bleepin' stuff.
topher clark said…
seriously, you are right. Who came up with the idea of Luigi being some kind of plummer? I've never even thought about it.
Anonymous said…
Your parents were so cruel!!! How could they be so mean and evil to you, and give in so readily to your brother. But, lets see. . . Your a college graduate, a top scholar, a prince among men and your brother ??? Hum lets see if there is any corelation????
Anonymous said…
Right! Now is the brother's turn. We were both robbed of this wonderous gift. We both had to fight our friends for those small moments of hitting bricks with our heads to get the gold coin. And when you were a junior, you won a writing contest to buy yourself the newest Nintendo. I, the younger and less talented at BS-ing my way through an English assignment, was finally rewarded my Sophmore/Junior year with a PlayStation. How did I obtain this wonderful joy? Did our cruel parents finally give in and by me one? No. I got a job and went out and bought one with my own hard-earned cash.

And I don't know what this "Anonymous" is trying to say. I am a perfect gentleman, and future ruler of this world...if I can stop playing my blasted PS long-enough.
Matt Haws said…
are you SURE you bought it yourself, Blaine? Because I seem to remember it being a birthday gift. And anyway, it makes a much better story if you got it from mom and dad so hush.
yaj000 said…
have u considered being sitcom writer!!!
Anonymous said…
Matt oh Matt. I remember that old Nintendo and how you taught me te play and how we would laugh at Mario's "Mamma Mia!" Good times!
Anonymous said…
I know intimately, if you know what I mean, all the games you mentioned for the original nintendo but was lost until James Bond on the 64. And I love the last two paragraphs so much. I can do anything! And, Chris, didn't you ever hear Matt, Adrian and I discussing the magic of how Mario and Luigi came to be?
Anonymous said…
As the authority here, Blaine's FIRST playstation was bought by the inconsiderate parents, the SECOND was paid for by Blaine. We always did treat Blaine different, didn't we ( I mean they always did treat Blaine different, didn't they!! OOPS!)

Popular posts from this blog

The Only Thing We Have to Fear...

It's October, which means not only do I get to start dipping into my nifty fall wardrobe but also that Halloween is upon us. I think its great that we devote specific holidays to various basic emotions of the human psyche. Halloween = fear, Valentine's day = love, Thanksgiving = gratitude, St. Patrick's Day = envy, and Christmas = greed. We're just missing wrath, lust, pride, sloth, gluttony, and inadequecy. Clearly, more holidays are necessary. But that's a subject for another day. We don't want to give Halloween less than its due. Because seriously, how cool is Halloween? Its way off the scale on the cool-o-meter. When else can you see even the most pious and sensible people indulging in a little of the supernatural and occult by dressing up their children as vampires, witches, or ghosts? Well, that's how it was back in my day anyway (which was soooooo long ago), but today kids dress up as Jedi, princesses, Harry Potter, or Spiderman. They are totally miss

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent...

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. Though, despite the elaborate disguise Consisting of a single pair of bent, Simple specs, they're not two different guys But only one, still I said what I meant: I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent I guess because one of them's more like me And does not always get what he wants And struggles with our vulnerability. And does not by his perfection command The adoration of every woman and man But sits in the back, with nothing to say Just hoping that Lois Lane looks his way. She doesn't - her eyes are glued to the sky. Wake up, Lois! Can't you see the guy Waiting to love you with all of his might? He may not leap buildings, he may not fly, He may not see through you with x-ray eyes, He might need YOUR help, if that's alright, From time to time, when his mortal heart cries. He combs his hair neatly and fights through the crowd, Decides what to say, and rehearses out loud, He summons his

God Bless Us, Every One

Call me a Scrooge, but I've found that the last couple of years Christmas just hasn't carried the same sense of wonder and excitement it once did. When I was a kid, I was ready to pee my pants every day in December just thinking about the twenty-fifth, which crept closer so slowly that the month was always filled with blissfully tortuous anticipation. The sense of suspense, the agony of not knowing what the fantastically wrapped boxes contained, was only heightened by the lights, the music, the snow, and everything you knew meant it was Christmas time. Back then, my heart's desires cost about twenty bucks and, tragically, seemed both completely unobtainable and the key to my whole life's happiness. This was the season, then, when miracles of a very practical kind could happen; objects only admired on the shelf, or at a friend's, or in some abstract sense of obsession could literally become my own and wind up, eventually, in pieces somewhere in my closet. I like to c