Skip to main content

The Death of Innocence

I have the unique opportunity to observe innocence every day. It appears to me in the form of wide-eyed and playful three and four year olds prancing around my office having fun. Sometimes they just sing softly to themselves, lost in their own fantasy world. Sometimes they explode into what, if replicated by an adult, would appear to be a psychotic breakdown. All of this is for the most part pleasant and often charming, or at least amusing -- but it can also be extremely uncomfortable.

Innocence sometimes upsets me, because I know that it is fragile. It is a state of being that cannot last, but leads inevitably towards disappointment and despair. All is not lost, however, for even these dark places are not the end but themselves lead to another, more hopeful and wiser level of consciousness. But even though I know that, it doesn't keep me from looking at these innocent children and shuddering at the pain that lies ahead of them. At various moments, bits of their care-free world are going to disappear until almost none of it is left.

I witnessed one of these moments the other day, and its actually a pretty amusing story, so stick with me.

I was typing away frantically at my desk when a small boy approached me timidly with an obviously brand-new scooter. He presented it to me shyly, very proud of it but worried about how I might react.

"Is that your scooter?" I asked, pretending to be stunned. He nodded, smiling very big now. He was adorable, with large, round eyes and chubby cheeks.

"Wow!" I said. "I bet it goes really fast!"

"It does," he whispered, as if confiding a huge secret.

I continued to admire it, and he slowly began to warm up to me until we were the best of friends. We had shared a moment. We had a thing. We were brothers-of-the-scooter, united in a common interest. Colleagues and compatriots. Had I been of the right size, I bet I could have asked him to let me take a ride, and I bet he would have let me.

And that, my friends, is trust.

"Show me how it works," I said, smiling, thoroughly delighted by this encounter.

He obliged and stepped up onto the scooter, pushing himself around the office slowly while showing off his driving skills. I applauded. He beamed, and smiled at me with what could only be described as pure love.

"Tyler!" shouted his nanny, suddenly noticing the situation, "I told you no riding that inside!"

She was a big, strong woman with a thick Jamaican accent and a demeanor that suggested she'd take no back-talk from either of us. She swooped in with a regal air and snatched the boy and his scooter away, dragging them both back to the other side of the room.

In a moment she returned, this time carrying only the scooter. She deposited the boy's treasured possession behind my desk.

"I put this here," she said, and it was like a command.

"Um, sure," I replied weakly.

She walked confidently back to the child, who looked at her with confusion and panic. I could practically hear his little heart thudding in his chest from where I sat. Where? Where is it? He asked these questions with his eyes, barely able to speak.

"That man took it," the nanny announced, pointing at me, "He says you can't have it." And she sat down, the matter now finished and resolved.

The boy looked at me in shock. How can I describe what I saw in those eyes? Pain. Confusion. Betrayal. Anger.

My mouth worked, but I had no way to communicate the truth - and even if I could, I would not be believed. I was a villain. I had violated the trust he'd placed in me.

This is why I don't like innocence. It bursts so quickly, and authoritarian nannies are always blaming me for it. See where I'm coming from??

Comments

Unknown said…
For some reason this post reminds me of http://www.braid-game.com/

You tried this one before? Highly recommended.

Popular posts from this blog

The Only Thing We Have to Fear...

It's October, which means not only do I get to start dipping into my nifty fall wardrobe but also that Halloween is upon us. I think its great that we devote specific holidays to various basic emotions of the human psyche. Halloween = fear, Valentine's day = love, Thanksgiving = gratitude, St. Patrick's Day = envy, and Christmas = greed. We're just missing wrath, lust, pride, sloth, gluttony, and inadequecy. Clearly, more holidays are necessary. But that's a subject for another day. We don't want to give Halloween less than its due. Because seriously, how cool is Halloween? Its way off the scale on the cool-o-meter. When else can you see even the most pious and sensible people indulging in a little of the supernatural and occult by dressing up their children as vampires, witches, or ghosts? Well, that's how it was back in my day anyway (which was soooooo long ago), but today kids dress up as Jedi, princesses, Harry Potter, or Spiderman. They are totally miss

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent...

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. Though, despite the elaborate disguise Consisting of a single pair of bent, Simple specs, they're not two different guys But only one, still I said what I meant: I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent I guess because one of them's more like me And does not always get what he wants And struggles with our vulnerability. And does not by his perfection command The adoration of every woman and man But sits in the back, with nothing to say Just hoping that Lois Lane looks his way. She doesn't - her eyes are glued to the sky. Wake up, Lois! Can't you see the guy Waiting to love you with all of his might? He may not leap buildings, he may not fly, He may not see through you with x-ray eyes, He might need YOUR help, if that's alright, From time to time, when his mortal heart cries. He combs his hair neatly and fights through the crowd, Decides what to say, and rehearses out loud, He summons his

God Bless Us, Every One

Call me a Scrooge, but I've found that the last couple of years Christmas just hasn't carried the same sense of wonder and excitement it once did. When I was a kid, I was ready to pee my pants every day in December just thinking about the twenty-fifth, which crept closer so slowly that the month was always filled with blissfully tortuous anticipation. The sense of suspense, the agony of not knowing what the fantastically wrapped boxes contained, was only heightened by the lights, the music, the snow, and everything you knew meant it was Christmas time. Back then, my heart's desires cost about twenty bucks and, tragically, seemed both completely unobtainable and the key to my whole life's happiness. This was the season, then, when miracles of a very practical kind could happen; objects only admired on the shelf, or at a friend's, or in some abstract sense of obsession could literally become my own and wind up, eventually, in pieces somewhere in my closet. I like to c