Skip to main content

Fat Matt, Part 2

I'm no longer fat.

Ok, so I never was fat, really. But I was certainly heading that way. I was plagued with nightmares of myself at forty watching TV from my bed while eating a drumstick, so large I could not support my own weight, and then dying of a heart attack. Nothing I could do was stopping the inexorable process. I would stop gaining weight, then lose a pound or two, then suddenly gain a bunch more. More and more of my pants were going into the "do not fit anymore" pile.

The final straw came when we saw the costume designs for the upcoming production of Macbeth that I am in. My costume requires me to wear a very tight shirt, which looks really good in the rendering, but I worried about what it might reveal. I pulled the shirt I was wearing back from behind, making it look tight in the front so that we could get a preview. "Uh-oh," said my director, the lovely and talented Barta Heiner, "looks like you got a little extra flub here," and she grabbed the part which I hate the most, those awful love handles. And, indeed, they were quite noticeable. I had convinced myself that I was the only person who noticed, but somebody else pointed them out it was all too clear something had to change. "What should I do?" I asked, desparately. "You must change your eating habits," she said simply.

Whats wrong with the way I eat? I eat a whole bunch of Stouffer's food at work, not mention bagels, toast, cereal, and carbs of all kinds. I sit at work and do nothing physical, then come home a fairly sensible dinner of pizza, or chicken and rice, or something of that sort, followed by a big bowl of ice cream! Oh, and I eat sweets. Lots and lots of sweets. I had no idea how much of a sweet tooth I had until I took a step back and looked at it. My absolute favorite are the big sugar cookies with a thick layer of pink frosting they sell in every vending machine around here.

So maybe she had a point. I had long known that my diet had to change, and especially that I had to cut back on sweets. I was advised over a year ago by my wise yoga instructor to eliminate processed sugars from my life. It went something like this:

Me: "Sensei, I come to you for advice and direction. Tell me, how can I live and full and happy life? Speak your wisdom, and I shall obey and follow."

Him: "Matthew-san, not easy the path of peace and enlightenment is. Ready are you to face its trials?"

Me: "Yes, sensei, I will do anything which you direct."

Him: "Then, my child, listen closely you must. Beware the dark side of sugar! Shun it from your life, and happiness you shall find, and peace."

Me: "YOU'RE CRAZY, YOU OLD COOT!"

Ok, so it didn't go exactly like that. But my version is much cooler, don't you think? The point is that I realized finally that I had to make some sacrifices if I wanted to look good and live long and prosper. You see, there is more than simply vanity at stake here. I'm an actor, it runs in my blood, and for the next several years the only kind of parts that I can expect to be cast in are the young lover type of role. Thats my type. I cannot be competitive, especially on a professional level, for those kind of parts with a pot belly. Nobody wants to see a Romeo with tiny biceps and huge love handles. As an actor, your whole body is your instrument and it must in good shape to be used to its full potential.

So I changed my diet. No more sugar. Cut back on carbs. All that good stuff. Get plenty of exercise. And I'm pleased to say that its working very well. I've always had a high metabolism, and by eliminating the yucky stuff I'm able to let it do its work. I've lost 12 pounds in the last month, and continuing to fall. My excess flub is going. Come see me in Macbeth, because I'm going to look hot!

I've never had cravings for a specific food before, though, and every now and then I brake into a cold sweat like a junkie in withdrawals, and my whole body aches and screams out in monstrous rage, "SUGAR! CANDY! COOKIES!" and I am forced to bring all my willpower to bear and say, "No longer shall these primal urges rule my destiny. I am in control now! Begone!" And just like that, the urges subside and, being gone, I am a man again.

Comments

eleka nahmen said…
Considering my 2 hours devoted to gym activity every day, looks like your health craze is catching on. But I still must say, that diet is terrible! (In the tone of voice and inflection purloined from one we both know very well).

Glad to hear it's working for you :) You'll be so sexy when we come see you in Hamlet, I'm certainly looking forward to it!
yaj000 said…
I am glad we can see an average guy in the actor's role. Please don't go become Arnold Shwanegar or something. That's the last thing average built guys need, the socital pressure to be that perfect buff movie actor looks guy. j/k.

At the same time, please loose the pot-belly. That just doesnt go well in a Shakespearean role.

I need to find some sort of physical activity while I am away from the college town.
Anonymous said…
please let us know when Hamlet is playing!
topher clark said…
Matt, I have always thought you were fat. What's the big deal?
Anonymous said…
I noticed in our "scuffle" today that there's still an ample amount of tender flesh in your middle.

Was that dirty?

Popular posts from this blog

The Only Thing We Have to Fear...

It's October, which means not only do I get to start dipping into my nifty fall wardrobe but also that Halloween is upon us. I think its great that we devote specific holidays to various basic emotions of the human psyche. Halloween = fear, Valentine's day = love, Thanksgiving = gratitude, St. Patrick's Day = envy, and Christmas = greed. We're just missing wrath, lust, pride, sloth, gluttony, and inadequecy. Clearly, more holidays are necessary. But that's a subject for another day. We don't want to give Halloween less than its due. Because seriously, how cool is Halloween? Its way off the scale on the cool-o-meter. When else can you see even the most pious and sensible people indulging in a little of the supernatural and occult by dressing up their children as vampires, witches, or ghosts? Well, that's how it was back in my day anyway (which was soooooo long ago), but today kids dress up as Jedi, princesses, Harry Potter, or Spiderman. They are totally miss

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent...

I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. Though, despite the elaborate disguise Consisting of a single pair of bent, Simple specs, they're not two different guys But only one, still I said what I meant: I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent. I like Superman, but I love Clark Kent I guess because one of them's more like me And does not always get what he wants And struggles with our vulnerability. And does not by his perfection command The adoration of every woman and man But sits in the back, with nothing to say Just hoping that Lois Lane looks his way. She doesn't - her eyes are glued to the sky. Wake up, Lois! Can't you see the guy Waiting to love you with all of his might? He may not leap buildings, he may not fly, He may not see through you with x-ray eyes, He might need YOUR help, if that's alright, From time to time, when his mortal heart cries. He combs his hair neatly and fights through the crowd, Decides what to say, and rehearses out loud, He summons his

God Bless Us, Every One

Call me a Scrooge, but I've found that the last couple of years Christmas just hasn't carried the same sense of wonder and excitement it once did. When I was a kid, I was ready to pee my pants every day in December just thinking about the twenty-fifth, which crept closer so slowly that the month was always filled with blissfully tortuous anticipation. The sense of suspense, the agony of not knowing what the fantastically wrapped boxes contained, was only heightened by the lights, the music, the snow, and everything you knew meant it was Christmas time. Back then, my heart's desires cost about twenty bucks and, tragically, seemed both completely unobtainable and the key to my whole life's happiness. This was the season, then, when miracles of a very practical kind could happen; objects only admired on the shelf, or at a friend's, or in some abstract sense of obsession could literally become my own and wind up, eventually, in pieces somewhere in my closet. I like to c